The Cenotaph
 back | next
Located in Whitehall. Constructed in 1919 and 1920.
cenotaph.jpg
map-icon.png
Click the map to start again
‘Cenotaph’ means ‘an empty tomb’. The monument was originally built in 1919, in plaster and wood by Edwin Lutyens for the Allied Victory Parade. It was remodelled in Portland stone in 1920, and has since come to serve as a memorial for ‘The Glorious Dead’ of all British wars. Each year, on Remembrance Sunday, the Monarch lays
a wreath of poppies at its base.
ceno copy.jpg
poppy1.jpg